This blog follows my placement with Research & Cultural Collections at the University of Birmingham in January 2014, where I will undertake a range of collections management projects to further develop my skills in research, cataloguing, exhibition and preventive conservation.

Thursday 6 February 2014

And I forgot to mention...

Research & Cultural Collections organised an exciting and very full program of activities for me. Some of the other things I've been up to while in ‘Brum’:
  • Attended a preview screening of Tearing up History: a fascinating documentary about iconoclasm during the French Revolution by Dr Richard Clay, an academic at the University of Birmingham. With my background in political studies and current studies in conservation, it is certainly a topic that combines many of my interests and an area I’d like to explore further.
  • Climbed the stairs of the newly opened Library of Birmingham and took in the fantastic view of the city from the rooftop – 9 floors up!


  • Attended a wonderful performance of Prokofiev’s ‘Romeo & Juliet’ by the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra with other students from the Cultural Intern Scheme at the magnificent Symphony Hall.


  • Visited the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists Gallery and the contemporary IKON Gallery, ate delicious Indian ‘balti’ dishes, trekked around Licky Hills and had a drink at the ‘smallest pub in Birmingham’ with the very hospitable previous Award recipients, Chloe Lund and Katy Wade.
Dinner with some of the team from Number 32.
From left, Back: Clare Mullett, Sue Franklin
Front: Chloe Lund, myself, Sarah Beattie (Barber Institute of Fine Arts), Anna Young, Clare Marlow, Nadia Amal


No comments:

Post a Comment